Experiential Education Manager
ABOUT MINERVA UNIVERSITY
Minerva University, based in San Francisco, California, offers a unique undergraduate experience for the brightest, most motivated students in the world. Minerva has been deliberately designed to teach the capabilities needed to solve complex challenges. Combining a reinvented curriculum, rigorous academic standards, cutting-edge technology, and an immersive global experience, Minerva provides an exceptional and accessible education to prepare future leaders and innovators across all disciplines.
Minerva undergraduate students come from all over the world to spend their first year in residence in San Francisco, and then live and study in a different major world city every semester thereafter: Seoul, Hyderabad, Berlin, Buenos Aires, London, and Taipei. These rich international experiences provide students with deep global understanding and skills.
ABOUT STUDENT LIFE
The Student Life team oversees the growth and development of students outside the classroom. Student Life staff members work within and across teams focused on residential life and Minerva community development, civic engagement and city/cultural immersion, mental health and wellbeing, and professional development of students to prepare them for post-graduation employment or graduate and professional school. These teams are unified by a shared goal of providing and/or supporting opportunities for integrated learning for our diverse and global student community.
Directly reporting to the City Director, the Experiential Education Manager will be an integral member of the Student Life Team, supporting all activities in the city and providing students with a holistic semester. The Experiential Education Manager will design and facilitate cultural and educational experiences and large-scale events that bring skills, knowledge, and cultures alive. This individual will embrace the opportunity to work with young adults from more than 50 different countries who are navigating college and are eager and excited to grow through engaging in experiences in the places in which they live.
This role requires evening and weekend work.
As part of the Student Life team at Minerva, the Experiential Education Manager is responsible for:
EXPERIENCE DESIGN AND FACILITATION
- Spotlight unique characteristics of the city and its inhabitants, organizations, and institutions and develop programs and opportunities for students to learn about the local culture across the semester.
- Coordinate opportunities for the students to volunteer, explore or get involved, in close coordination and collaboration with the City Director.
- Facilitate experiential programs with external partners and local professionals in the city; planning in collaboration with CTD and Academics; executing with the help of the entire in-city Student Life Team.
- Drafting and sharing communications to students through established Minerva platforms such as the Community Portal
- Scoping, planning and executing large and small scale events and activities, including events such as orientation, feasts and end of semester events.
- The candidate should be a comfortable public speaker, who has no trouble leading a program for 100+ students.
- Facilitate and lead events for students to reflect on their learnings about the local culture.
STUDENT LIFE TEAM MEMBER
- Being visible during the Monday to Friday work week, including hosting open office hours and small student gatherings.
- In collaboration with the Student Life team, managing work study students to lead and organize weekly 10:01s and Minerva Talks (key community traditions), in addition to Student Life work studies in other programs offered within the residence to promote community and wellness.
- Organize and participate in city preparation and management, opening and closing, including roommate assignments, check-in and check-out duties
- Serving on the Community Care Initiative (CCI), a committee across departments that convenes weekly to discuss students of concern.
- Holding the city’s Emergency Phone on rotational basis with the other team members, across the whole semester, during which the on-duty employee cannot leave the rotation city.
- Other duties as assigned.
- In depth local city and culture expertise
- Native level language skills in English. Must know conversational Telugu and/or Hindi.
- Legal residential status in India.
- Extensive network and local partner contacts in Hyderabad.
- Skills, experience, and interest in facilitating collaboration within a highly diverse, international community; exceptional awareness of intercultural dynamics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high capacity for quick communication across multiple channels
- Expertise in project management. ability to define goals, meet urgent deadlines, organize and prioritize projects with follow-through
- Exemplary interpersonal skills with strong student-centered focus and attention to detail
- Capacity to learn and use new technology in a very fast-paced environment (Google Suite skills a plus)
- Must be available to work late nights/weekends (with time off duty during the semester)
- Ability to respond to and triage unexpected and serious incidents effectively
- Need to work collaboratively as part of a team and interact effectively with colleagues, faculty and students
- Bachelor’s Degree with relevant graduate work preferred.
- 3-4 years’ experience in the fields of culture, experiential learning and education.
- First Aid and CPR certification preferred (or will be trained)
- Strong sense of discretion, confidentiality and tact
- Record of sensitivity and respect to diverse cultures, politics, values and forms of communication
- High capacity for quick communication across multiple channels and global time zones
Interested candidates should submit a Letter of Interest and an updated resume. Candidates should include in their Letter of Interest their responses to the following questions:
- What excites you about this specific role at Minerva University?
- What contributions do you hope to bring to this role?
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Length of contract:
November 2022 to May 15, 2023.